Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Things are going pretty okay back here at the ranch...the weather's been very nice, bordering on a little too warm, these past couple of weeks, and we've really been enjoying all that summer is poised to bring. The garden is growing nicely, with little bean plants, peas, and greens; the rhubarb is growing (after immediately killing my four previous efforts!), melons and pumpkins are sprouting. Josie has a little garden in the middle of the lawn (she found her own little dirt patch and planted a pea seed), and her one pea has been joined by radishes (which sprouted in a little more than 24 hours and already taste nice and radish-y), carrots, and spinach. Oh, and a red pepper, which Josie likes to remind me are yucky. I think she'll eat them anyway. We go out every morning or early afternoon and hoe all the new weeds out (trying not to get anything we've planted) and water the seeds. Since I'm usually pretty delinquent with both of these, having Josie to remind me has been a big help!
I'll have to get some pictures of the two gardens, though...sorry I keep forgetting :)
One interesting thing, though...Josie's a natural-born pusher, but Jaspie seems to be a biter (just like I think I remember being, interestingly). Josie was kind of pushing him around yesterday and Josh was trying to convince her to back off when he made some sort of growling noise and zipped over to bite her arm. I was at the dentist, and so sad to have missed it! We'll have to work on nipping this in the bud, since pushing isn't nearly the problem that biting is (and Josie hardly pushes any more)...
Anyhow, here we are enjoying the spring weather:


In this last one, Josie's playing croquet...at least trying to figure out how!

No comments: